To what extent can it be argued that there is a "standard" variety of French and/or Spanish?
Your answer must cover the following points:
- Investigate the differences between Peninsular and Latin American Spanish and/or Continental French, Quebécois and French-speaking ex-colonies, and why these differences came about.
- What constitutes 'standard' language?
- Can we say that only Standard French/Spanish are correct? Why/why not?
- What is a 'prestige' dialect, and to what extent is Standard French/Spanish a prestige dialect?
- Think about standard versus dialectal variations; are the latter incorrect or less prestigious because they diverge from the pre-established standard? Why/why not?